The ASHG Mentorship Award honors ASHG members who have significant records of accomplishment as mentors. The award is open to individuals at all academic ranks, but eligible candidates must have demonstrated a sustained pattern of exemplary mentorship at the graduate student, postdoctoral, residency, or fellowship level. The awardee will receive a plaque and a monetary award of $10,000 at the Society’s Annual Meeting.
All nominees must be current ASHG members.
Required Nomination Materials
- a formal letter of nomination describing the mentorship accomplishments of the candidate in sufficient detail (500 word maximum)
- the nominee’s CV
- two reference letters from those who are familiar with the nominee’s mentorship accomplishments (each 500 words maximum).
- At least one letter must come from a mentee
- At least one letter must come from a member of ASHG
1) Candidate should be ‘midcareer’, about 5-15 years after their final degree
2) Documented, strong track record in educating, diverse, internationally successful mentees in junior faculty positions
3) Coaching efforts well beyond the call of duty
4) Strong commitment to assistance with further career path